Heroes of the Storm
|Heroes of the Storm|
|Heroes of the Storm 2.0 logo|
June 2, 2015
Heroes of the Storm, often shortened to Heroes or HotS (even though "HotS" can also refer to a Starcraft II expansion), is a Blizzard Entertainment "hero brawler" game which was initially inspired by the Defense of the Ancients custom map for Warcraft III. The game features characters from across the Warcraft, StarCraft, Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, Diablo and Overwatch franchises, who are seized by an unknown force and brought together in a mysterious location known as the Nexus to do battle.
Heroes of the Storm is a team-based competitive game in which each player controls a powerful hero with unique abilities, and works with his or her team to invade and destroy the enemy team's base. However, it has a number of features which set it apart from other DOTA-style games. Experience is shared between all players on a team (so there is no benefit to last-hitting). There are no purchasable items (but characters can be customized by learning talents as they level up). All skills are unlocked at the beginning of a match. Games are intended to last for about 20 minutes each, and each map has unique objectives.
Characters that are currently playable include:
- Blizzard Classic: The Lost Vikings
- Diablo: Auriel, Azmodan, Cassia, Deckard, Diablo, Johanna, Kharazim, Leoric, Li-Ming, Malthael, Nazeebo, Sonya, The Butcher, Tyrael, Valla, Xul
- Overwatch: Ana, D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Lúcio, Tracer, Zarya
- StarCraft: Abathur, Alarak, Artanis, Blaze, Dehaka, Fenix, Kerrigan, Lt. Morales, Nova, Probius, Raynor, Sgt. Hammer, Stukov, Tassadar, Tychus, Zagara, Zeratul
- Warcraft: Alexstrasza, Anub'arak, Arthas, Brightwing, Chen, Cho'gall, Chromie, E.T.C., Falstad, Garrosh, Gazlowe, Greymane, Gul'dan, Illidan, Jaina, Kael'thas, Kel'Thuzad, Li Li, Lunara, Maiev, Malfurion, Medivh, Muradin, Murky, Ragnaros, Rehgar, Rexxar, Samuro, Stitches, Sylvanas, Thrall, Tyrande, Uther, Valeera, Varian, Yrel, Zul'jin
Characters that have been seen in artwork or trailers include:
- Warcraft: Gelbin
- Skins from other franchises heroes merging into StarCraft
- Nova HotS Art.jpg
- Raynor HotS Art.jpg
- Tassadar HotS Art.jpg
- Tychus HotS Art.jpg
- The original name - Blizzard DOTA - was at the heart of a legal battle between Valve, who wanted to trademark "DOTA" for their own use, and Blizzard, who wanted to prevent the trademark so that it could be freely used by the gaming community. Ultimately, they decided that DOTA could be freely used non-commercially, while Valve retained exclusive rights to its commercial usage. As a result, Blizzard DOTA was renamed Blizzard All-Stars. Rob Pardo commented that the new title "ultimately better reflects the design of our game." On October 17, 2013, the game was renamed yet again to Heroes of the Storm.
- Blizzard does not use the terms "ARTS" or "MOBA", feeling that the game is more accurately described as a "hero brawler".