StarCraft II: Starter Edition
|StarCraft II: Starter Edition|
Microsoft Windows, macOS
August 3, 2011
StarCraft II: Starter Edition was the demo version of StarCraft II, available to any player who downloads the client. This feature preceded the Wings of Liberty demo. Formerly it gave limited access to the campaign, vs AI and arcade. With the release of Legacy of the Void, the Starter Edition granted full access to the arcade, Co-op Missions, and custom games. Players could use a "spawning" feature with friends in order to play full multiplayer matches, but only if they are in a party with their Blizzard friends. Using this feature would match them to the expansion level their friend is currently on.
The following were available for Starter Edition accounts:
- Full access to the arcade.
- Custom games
- Ability to "spawn" with a Blizzard friend and play multiplayer games while partied with them
- First three Wings of Liberty missions plus the "The Evacuation" or "Smash and Grab" (player's choice)
- Whispers of Oblivion mini-campaign
- Full access to Co-op Missions as well as three commanders: Jim Raynor, Sarah Kerrigan, and Artanis.
- StarCraft II Starter Edition adds Spawning, lets friends play online for free. PC Gamer (2013-06-13). Retrieved on 2017-11-14.
- StarCraft II Going Free-To-Play, Explained. Blizzard Entertainment (2017-11-05). Retrieved on 2017-11-14.